Your diet can play a major role in the health of your teeth and gums.
The American Dental Association offers these dietary guidelines to help keep your mouth healthy:
- Avoid sodas and fruit drinks sweetened with sugar.
- Limit consumption of candies, cookies, pastries and other desserts with added sugar.
- Eat nutritious snacks that are lower in sugar.
- Brush at least twice daily and floss daily.
- Drink water often.
- Keep a food journal and review it for high-sugar foods. Compare your diet to the food pyramid recommendations.
Health Tip: Mouthguards Protect Your Smile
A mouthguard is a custom-made or off-the-rack device that protects your teeth and mouth from a potential blow during sports or exercise.
The American Dental Association mentions these benefits of wearing a mouthguard:
- Reduced risk of breaking or chipping a tooth.
- Protection against losing a tooth from injury.
- Protection against oral nerve damage.
- Reduced risk of soft tissue injuries to the inside of the cheeks, tongue or lips.