Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Health Tips for December 30

Health Tip: Kids Can Benefit From Making New Year's Resolutions

For so many people, the beginning of a new year is a time for fresh starts. As of January 1, grown-ups all over the world will vow to lose weight, stop smoking, start exercising, get more organized, etc. But experts say that New Year’s resolutions aren’t just for grown-ups; kids can benefit from making resolutions, too.

Helping kids to make a list of things they’d like to improve in their lives can give them the emotional boost to succeed. The key is to make sure the resolutions are reasonable, age-appropriate and within the child’s grasp.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, and other experts, recommend talking to your kids about making the following resolutions.

Preschoolers

  • I will clean up my toys.
  • I will brush my teeth twice a day, and wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating.
  • I won't tease dogs -- even friendly ones. I will avoid being bitten by keeping my fingers and face away from their mouths.
  • I will share with my friends and siblings and be nice to everyone.

School-age kids

  • I will drink milk and water, and limit soda and fruit drinks. I will limit the amount of “junk food” I eat and try to make healthy choices for meals and snacks.
  • I will apply sunscreen before I go outdoors. I will try to stay in the shade whenever possible and wear a hat and sunglasses, especially when I'm playing sports.
  • I will try to find a sport or other activity that I like and do it at least three times a week.
  • I will always wear a helmet and other protective gear when bicycling, skating or using a scooter.
  • I will stay in my booster seat and/or wear my seat belt every time I get in a car.
  • I'll be friendly to kids who need friends - like someone who is shy, or is new to my school.
  • I'll never give out personal information such as my name, home address, school name or telephone number on the Internet. Also, I'll never send a picture of myself to someone I chat with on the computer without my parent's permission.

Teens

  • I will include fruits and vegetables in my every day diet, and I will limit the amount of soda I drink.
  • I will take care of my body through physical activity and nutrition. I will make healthy dietary choices and limit the “junk food” I eat.
  • I will choose non-violent television shows and video games, and I will spend only one to two hours each day -- at the most -- on these activities.
  • I will help out in my community through volunteering, working with community groups or by joining a group that helps people in need.
  • I will wipe negative "self talk" (such as “I can't do it” or “I'm so dumb”) out of my vocabulary.
  • When I feel angry or stressed out, I will take a break and find constructive ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or discussing my problem with a parent or friend.
  • When faced with a difficult decision, I will talk with an adult about my choices.
  • I will be careful about whom I choose to date, and always treat the other person with respect and without coercion or violence.
  • I will resist peer pressure to try drugs and alcohol.

Progress, not perfection

It is important to let kids of all ages know that if they break a resolution at any time, a fresh start is as close as the next day!

No comments: