If you've been abusing drugs, your doctor should be aware of your history and be involved in your recovery.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says your doctor can help by:
- Assisting you with recovery and offering support.
- Treating recovery-related medical issues, such as difficulty sleeping or changes in mood.
- Making needed changes to your medications.
Health Tip: Managing Diabetes While Under Stress
Managing diabetes can be tough enough, but the challenge is even greater when you're under stress.
The American Diabetes Association says possible impacts of stress on diabetes management include the risks of:
- A sudden, dramatic rise in blood glucose levels.
- Strong negative emotions.
- Difficulty making decisions or thinking clearly.
- Compulsive eating or making unhealthy food choices.
- Significant strain on the heart and circulatory system.